Saturday, November 16, 2013

The blog will still continue!
Just because I no longer wear a name badge on my chest does not mean that I am no longer a missionary.  Member missionaries are truly what help the world go forward.
I am and forever will be a missionary.
Being home has been a really strange experience.  Some people have changed, some people haven't.  But all in all it has been a wonderful opportunity to grow since I  have returned.  
I want this post to have 2 main subjects.  The first is one that can be a very sensitive subject unless treated properly.. That is.. how to respond to a missionary returning home early for ANY reason.
My ward has been phenomenal in helping with this transition.  They have welcomed me back with open arms and open hearts.  They try to not ask probing questions, they just love me for me and I love that!  My first Sunday back I was extremely nervous about being overwhelmed.  When  you have left for a period of time, whether it be from moving away, inactivity, or any other reason seeing people you knew/know can be really overwhelming.  When everyone comes up and asks you questions or says how happy they are to see you it can be really awkward.  In situations like this, feel free to go up and welcome them home. But please, treat them as if they had been there just the week before, ask them questions you would ask other people who are there.  There is a time and a place for learning about their mission experiences or what is going on in their lives and that time and place is not in the chapel during church hours.  (speaking to my ward members from home)Thank you so much for treating me like a normal person.  For talking to me as me and not as some health problem.
The second thing I want to talk about is member missionary work.  As I was out in the mission field there were things that I liked and things that I didn't like about the areas I served in.  One common theme I noticed in the wards and branches that I served in was that the work cannot truly go forth and progress when the members are not united with the missionaries.  Whether its offering rides, offering your home for a lesson, feeding the missionaries, praying for their investigators, whatever it be.. be a missionary whether you are wearing a name tag or not.  Help out in little ways and it will change lives and help in the conversion process.  Be a friend to your neighbors so that when they decide they want to learn more about what makes you so happy they will be willing to ask.  Don't push people into joining the church just because it's a number to a goal that needs to be met.  Love everyone you see, don't be afraid to share your beliefs and what is important to you.  And most importantly, be an example of the believers in all that you do, say, and think.  Pray for opportunities to help someone each day to come closer to Christ.  Whether someone is a member of the same church you attend or not, it doesn't matter.  We are all children of our Heavenly Father and we all need to be brought closer to Him by becoming closer to Christ.
I love you all!  Thanks for all your support.
Love,
Sister Bricker

No comments:

Post a Comment